Last March, President Jacques Chirac approached Vaira Vike Freiberga, former President of the Republic of Latvia and member of the Fondation’s honorary committee, to become a member of the Jury for the Fondation Chirac’s Conflict Prevention Prize.
She accepted on March 30, 2010 and will sit amongst:
- Boutros Boutros-Ghali, former Secretary General of the UN
- Michel Camdessus, former IMF Managing Director
- Joaquim Alberto Chissano, former President of Mozambique
- Frederico Mayor, former Secretary General of Unesco
- Andrea Riccardi, founder of the Sant’Egidio Community
- Jorge Sampaio, High Representative of the Secretary General of the UN Alliance of Civilizations, former President of Portugal
- Ismail Serageldin, Director of the Library of Alexandria
- Simone Veil, former Minister of State, member of the French Academy.
The Jury is set to meet twice to deliberate on possible recipients selected by the Expert Committee. The Awards Ceremony will be held November 5, 2010 in Paris.